In response to the governor’s order to close schools, Shelby City Schools has developed the following plan, which is subject to change and will remain fluid in accordance with the guidance and recommendations of state and local governments and health agencies. This timeline could change accordingly.
- Shelby City Schools will be closed beginning on Monday, March 16-Friday, April 3, 2020.
- All buildings and athletic facilities will be closed to students and the public (aside from short-term access for picking up assignments or lunches). All athletic practices and events are suspended until further notice, beginning Saturday, March 14.
- All extracurricular/co-curricular/school/community events, meetings, and activities on school property are suspended beginning March 14 until further notice.
- All date changes/cancellations/closures will be updated on the school calendar available here: https://www.shelbyk12.org/district/district-calendar/
- In order to minimize interruption to student learning time, the Shelby City Schools will be observing Spring Break on Monday, March 30-Friday, April 3, 2020.
- Any family who has previous arrangements for travel/vacation during the original Spring Break window of April 14-April 17 will be allowed to honor those plans. Please provide your student’s building principal with documentation of travel plans by April 9. Any approved absences during this time will be considered excused; any missed work or assignments will need to be made up.
- School is currently scheduled to resume on Monday, April 6, 2020.
- Shelby City Schools will not be in session on April 10-13 (Good Friday/Easter Monday).
Access to Assignments:
- Teachers will provide access to assignments and learning resources via distance learning. Please look for information from your child’s teacher(s) on how to access these resources.
- Online access to assignments will begin on Wednesday, March 18, through the duration of the closure.
- Teachers will remain in communication with students and families throughout the closure via classroom communication methods (Classroom Dojo, Remind, etc.).
- For those who do not have computer access at home, hard copies of assignments will be available in each school office on Wednesdays (March 18 and 25) from 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- Student work may be returned each week when the next week’s assignments are picked up.
- Your child is required to participate in these assignments; grades will be recorded.
- Lunch will be available for all current Shelby City Schools’ students. Lunches may be picked up from 10:30-11:30 a.m. at any building (Auburn, Dowds, Central Gym, Shelby Middle School, Shelby High School) with the enrolled Shelby student present with the adult picking up the meal. Meals are available only for current Shelby students, not for extended family members. Students’ names will be collected at the point of pick-up. Lunches will be packaged for take-out; no eating is permitted on site.
- Meals will be available on the following days:
- Tuesday, March 17-Thursday, March 19
- Monday, March 23-Thursday, March 26