SCARLET S YEARBOOK
This course is designed to teach the basics of yearbook journalism, including: theme, coverage, copy writing, graphic design, photography, finance, advertising, marketing and sales techniques, teamwork, time management skills and emerging technologies. Students will design and produce a quality color yearbook for Shelby Senior High School and its supporters within a budget using these basics of yearbook journalism.
Stephanie McCoy, Advisor
Click below to order your yearbook.
(use school code 13673)
Click below to submit your senior photo.
(use code SHSWHIPPETS)
DESCRIPTION OF YEARBOOK COURSE
- Produce a yearbook the staff, the school, and the community can enjoy
- Learn their rights and responsibilities as student journalists
- Learn and utilize emerging technologies
- Gain proficiency in desktop publishing with Adobe InDesign, CS3, and Photoshop
- Incorporate advanced design principles such as grid and mod design into the yearbook
- Learn and use journalistic writing techniques including, but not limited to: writing copy; conducting interviews; editing for grammar, spelling and punctuation; writing caption copy; and using AP style.
- Develop student leadership and decision-making skills including organizational, time management, and teambuilding skills.
- Find ways to include every student and staff member in the yearbook
- Sell business advertisements and yearbooks through marketing and sales techniques
- Learn basic photography skills including taking effective pictures and cropping pictures
“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.”