SCARLET S YEARBOOK
This course is designed to teach the basics of yearbook journalism, including: theme, coverage, copy writing, graphic design, photography, finance, advertising, marketing and sales techniques, teamwork, time management skills and emerging technologies. Students will design and produce a quality color yearbook for Shelby Senior High School and its supporters within a budget using these basics of yearbook journalism.
Katie Will, Advisor
Click below to view senior photo submission instructions
DESCRIPTION OF YEARBOOK COURSE
- Produce a yearbook the staff, the school, and the community can enjoy
- Learn their rights and responsibilities as student journalists
- Learn and utilize emerging technologies
- Gain proficiency in desktop publishing with Adobe InDesign, CS3, and Photoshop
- Incorporate advanced design principles such as grid and mod design into the yearbook
- Learn and use journalistic writing techniques including, but not limited to: writing copy; conducting interviews; editing for grammar, spelling and punctuation; writing caption copy; and using AP style.
- Develop student leadership and decision-making skills including organizational, time management, and teambuilding skills.
- Find ways to include every student and staff member in the yearbook
- Sell business advertisements and yearbooks through marketing and sales techniques
- Learn basic photography skills including taking effective pictures and cropping pictures
“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.”